Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cocoon Sweater and Proportion Proportion Proportion


A shortcut to Proportion Proportion Proportion.

Last night I attended an annual party featuring the greedy gift grab game. This year I decided to make a cocoon sweater.

A cocoon sweater is super easy to make - it only requires 48", or 1-1/3 yd, of a knit fabric. You can use any knit, so long as it has a nice drape. I used a periwinkle blue sweater knit. I used the full width of the fabric, from selvedge to selvedge, which is about 62". A narrower fabric results in shorter sleeves, and also works quite well.

The following diagram shows how this is constructed.

With the fabric folded "the short way", the piece is cut to 24" long, which happens to (conveniently) be the length of my Olfa ruler. The cut edge becomes both the hem and the neckline.

Sew the side seams, leaving about 10" unsewn down from the folded edge. These openings become the armholes.

Finish the seams, hem, edges, as you like. In my case, I sewed the seams by hand and finished all edges, including the selvedges, by turning the under twice and hand stitching. The stitches were pretty much lost in the lofty knit.

That's it. Voila. Fini.

I also attached an antiqued kilt pin that I purchased on Etsy - the recipient can use it to hold the sweater closed.

I always angst about wrapping the gift as I am quite gift-wrap impaired. Then, yesterday, Rhonda Buss posted a fortuitous post on how to make tissue paper flowers to decorate a gift box.

I raided my pattern box for a pattern I had made that was a wadder. The instructions became the wrapping paper and the pattern tissue became the bow. The ribbon came from a huge roll of cotton twill tape. I don't think I made the bow correctly, but it worked well enough. Thanks for this cute idea, Rhonda!

Here is the same garment in a black slinky.

Now, what did I receive in this game? I received a Sewing Workshop Tamari apron made by Rita. I have always wanted to make one of these aprons, but wasn't sure if it would work on my shape.

I LOVE it!!

Proportion Proportion Proportion

I had fun getting dressed for the event last night.

After much thought, I decided to wear a duster I purchased a long time ago, which is made from a combination of black organza and a black cotton jersey knit. I wore it over a black t-shirt and my black Au Bonheir capri length pants that I often wear for evening events. For some color I added a short scarf with red fur flowers. The outfit was completed with my black Trippen boots.

I thought it looked quite cute in the mirror.

I took a few quick pictures and realized that the outfit wasn't quite working. One of the best pieces of advice I can give is to take pictures of yourself in an outfit.


Looking at a photo shows proportion in a way that you just can't see in a mirror.

I quickly swapped out the pants for a slim legged pant. I couldn't find my Katherine Tilton black skinny pant that I made recently (it's probably hiding in the laundry), so I wore my Style Arc heathered grey Cassie pant. I also swapped out the short scarf for a long red scarf that I purchased last August at the ACC Craft Fair. I have worn this scarf more than anything else I've bought in the last year.

I took a few more pictures and could see that this version of the outfit worked much better.

If I could convince sewists to do just one thing, it would be to make use of a camera, remote with 2-second timer, and tripod. Even if you don't share them anywhere, you will learn *so* much from the exercise. I find it's much better to take my own photos because I'm less self conscious and can take as many as I need. I can then upload them to my laptop to get a closer look. Sometimes I will notice something is off - is that tree growing out of my head? I can then re-take them with no one growling about the inconvenience.

Since I starting taking pictures of myself wearing my clothing, I have completely changed what I sew for myself and how I fit it. Looking in the mirror just does not convey the same information about proportion.

I'm still working on my coat. Unfortunately, I've hit a snag and have to see what I can do to remediate the situation.

I hope you all have a nice weekend!

35 comments:

  1. yes the 2nd outfit WORKS ! look great. Proportion is so important, especially for the vertically challenged, speaking from experience :) I really like the long scarf with the outfit. And what a great idea with the wrapping paper, I always toss out the last pages with the french/spanish instructions. now I will save them for wrapping gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweater is so nice and such a wonderful gift. I'm sure the recipient was happy. I liked the gift wrap tips. Your apron is cute, too, but for me, I need my whole front covered ;-) Using a camera - a definite help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you wrapped the pkg! It's so great! You're right about proportion luckily my daughter will take as many pics as I want...usually demanding more than I am willing to take! Love your new apron!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right about the camera. The mirror lies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing how the pants and scarf change the look. You're so stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I barely got a chance to speak to you last night, but wanted to tell you that I thought you looked smashing! And you are so so so right about the camera - I've learned more about dressing myself since I started photo-documenting my garments in the past couple of years than I did in my entire lifetime before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures to illustrate your points! And cool "final" outfit for last night.
    You're the one who convinced me to use the tripod and remote...and, like Jilly, my dressing life changed. Indeed, the mirror DOES lie...and photos don't. The learning curve for photo-documenting is not long, and it is certainly worth it. Thanks for teaching me that, Shams!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your outfit, and I appreciate the reminder about using the camera to really see how something looks objectively (rather than trying to extrapolate from a mirror). Interestingly, taking self-portraits has made me less self-critical. It's helped me to see that some things I considered such unacceptable flaws are similar to what I see on nearly everyone--bodies and selves imperfect, but interesting and individual.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky recipient of your present and what a lovely party to attend. I agree with the photo images instead of the mirrors, until I started a blog I thought I looked good in some clothes now what I've found is that I've actually changed my style completely as I see myself from the side and behind!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the apron. What an excellent gift!
    You did a perfect job on your bow. I bet you were the hit of the party ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, final outfit is much better (not that first one was bad). Good tips in this post. I am going to pin that cocoon sweater - will make a great bed jacket :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, yes, I so agree about pictures and how I dress. Proportion makes such a difference and also styling and accessorizing. I would see that on Project Runway but it didn't seemed to relate to my little suburban life and wardrobe....until I saw my pictures. Just a little more thought and effort and big difference. I too have gotten less self-critical (although I do get to choose the pics that the world sees so I stil have my vanity:-) and pictures are now good for analysis as well as record-keeping and reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your package wrap is wonderful. I am going to try that! My workmates would greatly appreciate it.

    Thanks so much for the sweater pattern. It would make a great quickie holiday gift.

    What a difference that red scarf made. I am also one who takes pics of myself, very, very informative. It's a terrific reality check. Lately I have learned what length hem looks best. It was not what I thought and a real enlightenment. Thanks for mentioning this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with you about the use of camera with timer and tripod. A picture is worth a thousand words and truly reveals how well or not something fits/works. Love your apron and the gift wrapped in pattern instructions and flower from pattern tissue is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So how come the mirror tells such a different story than the camera? Is it because the mirror is the way we usually see ourselves and the photo is the way other people see us? I don't know but it sure isn't the same view! Just wish I had a remote and better light indoors. Either that or less rain outdoors. At least I have a tripod now.

    You look great to me in all the outfits, Shams! Though the last one is of course best. I love the scarf especially. It gives such a nice splash of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your outfits look great.

    Good idea about taking pictures. Clerk when buying new camera: "What will be the subject of your pics so I can help you pick out one?" Answer: "I'm going to take pics of myself."

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's hard to argue with a picture you've just taken.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These pictures don't lie- your styling and fitting is great! Much style envy!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another great top. I love your 'style'. You're always very inspiring.
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  20. That cocoon sweater was a great gift--would fit almost anyone. I love it and have some black slinky that would make up nicely. I want to make those tisssue flowers also. Rhonda has made them in several different papers and they are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Two great ideas in one post! Wow...great quick sweater and who knew you could do the same thing with Slinky! Love the pattern paper wrapping too!
    Are those pockets on the front of the blue sweater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, mrsmole, but what a great idea! Those are the side seams. But you could definitely insert a pocket in there.

      Delete
    2. I feel some hidden kangaroo pockets for the future...what a cool idea...some place to put your hands and wrap that whole cloth around you!

      Delete
  22. what an inspiring post! From fluffy flowers to the camera as a personal fashion tool. I am converted! I constantly make things that I don't wear b/c something is off. From now on the tripod will live in my sewing space!

    And you look totally uptown in the revised outfit! (And you really scored with your apron!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post about proportion - a tripod for my camera is on my want list!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a gorgeous gift, I'll bet yours are very popular! And that is one awesome way to wrap a gift for a seamster... so very creative and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Magnanimous post - thanks for all the tips. Great gifts and wrapping. You last look is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree with your comments about using a camera. It's so valuable. Mine has a timer but no remote. I really want one of those to make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay! Cocoon sweater. I wanted to sew something for both my mum and mum-in-law, but I don´t know the first thing about altering patterns to fit mature bodies. This is it! That is going to be their present.
    You are so right about the diference it makes to see yourself in a photo, mirrors are so misleading sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the advice, Shams. I look forward to the day when I have enough space to keep a tripod at the ready. Right now it lives behind the couch and is such a pain to take out. I only make the effort when I finish a project and my husband isn't available. I would love to get in the habit though so that I can become more comfortable in front of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The cocoon sweater was a wonderful gift. Thank you for posting the pattern!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have a tripod with extendable legs which I bought years ago for work. I needed to take photos of rooms for survey purposes and I have very shaky hands. It collapses down small enough to fit in a (large) handbag so takes up very little space. Taking photos of myself has really been a revelation, and has changed my ideas of what suits me.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yup, the camera doesn't lie (darn it). As I am starting to take photos of myself, I am surprised every time. I think a tripod would help me because I bought one of those gorillapods (sp), but it only holds the camera in landscape orientation, not portrait; and when I'm taking photos of myself, I need portrait. And yes, your second look is better, although when I saw only the first, I thought that was nice, too.

    ReplyDelete